And so i'm writing this reminder, just in case:
If you're the user that sees those comments:
- Don't click the link in that comment. DON'T YOU DARE to click the link, okay? If you do, you may either get viruses on you computer/get your dA password stolen/thus your account will start sending spam comments/etc, no one would want that, right? No matter how awesome it sounds, don't click the link!
- From what i've seen, those accounts are just generated spam accounts with usernames, meaning there's no real person behind that account. So don't comment under their spam comments, don't go to their page, don't tell them to stop spamming! It's just a waste of time and who knows what's there on their pages. Remember, those are robots, bots, whatever you wanna call them.
- Not necessary, but may be helpful. You can report them and/or put them in your blocked users list.
- This is how you block a user:
Just enter their names in the box. Don't go to their page to do that! Just copy or retype their name from the spam comment they left under a deviation. Again, this is not necessary, but if you really want to protect yourself, do that!
- This is how you report a spammer or a spam bot:
Go here - help.deviantart.com/contact/ . Click on the "choose one" list, then choose the "Spammer Report" category (can be found under "Copyright & Etiquette Administration (CEA)"). Write something short and informative in the "Subject" line, for example, "Spam Bots in comments" or just "Spammer". Do NOT write stuff like "HELP!", "OMG!", "PLEASE ANSWER", etc, it won't make any difference, it's just that you will look like an idiot.
Cool, now move on to the comment section. Just say stuff like "This user is spamming under deviations" and provide his username. You can also put some examples of their spam there - make a screenshot and attach it to your report or just copy the text in comment (DON'T copy the link, just the text!!!). And you can put link/s to the deviation/s that were spammed by this user or where you first saw him spamming. Not necessary, but it may be helpful.
While writing in the "Comment" section, don't swear, don't tell them how you hate spammers, don't tell them the name of your dog that sits right next to you when you're typing that report, etc. Be polite, short and specific.
Also, if you're the user that gets spam comments under their deviations/journals/etc:
- Block those users, report comments for spam. Just in case, here's how you do this: see that little pencil button on the upper right corner of the spam comment? Click it and you'll see a small list. First choose "Block user", then choose "Report spam". That's it, the user is blocked and you've reported him succesfully.
- PLEASE don't just ignore the spam comments! When you get notifications about people commenting under your works, just quickly look through them to see if there's any spam. At least hide those spam comments so no one of your watchers gets to see them. Please, care about your watchers, some of them might accidentally click the link or click it on purpose because they didn't know that was a spam - it won't be your fault, of course, but you can do something about it, and by "something" i mean hide those comments, report them as spam (which also hides the comment, so you kill two birds with one stone). Besides, who would want to look at spam?
That's basically it. You may already know all that, but still. Also, feel free to share this journal with your watchers if you want to warn them!
Have an awesome day today.. and may spam never reach you.